Google Groups Beta
Subscribe to Raising Readers
Email:
Visit this group

Monday, February 26, 2007

Floam!

Floam

My kids have been saving their hard earned allowance for this stuff...gooing and easily manipulated Floam. I really didn't know about this until we bought it. This stuff is great! It's a lot less messy than play dough, and the kids love the texture. So the boys made snowmen, planets, dinosaurs and molded them on their toys (the good thing is it comes off!). It kept them pretty busy. You're probably wondering what does this have to do with reading? Being creative when working with young children is key to any educational experience. We need to think like they do. So taking something fun like Floam allows me to keep my kids engaged. After letting them have free range on the Floam, we started making letters with them, and with my 5 year old we made both upper and lower case letters. I let my 3 year old make what ever letter came to his head. Using play materials is a good opportunity to teach or reinforce reading skills like the alphabets and at the same time the kids are having fun! Try this one out....make the letter you want them to make and see if they can copy it!

No comments: