Google Groups Beta
Subscribe to Raising Readers
Email:
Visit this group

Saturday, March 3, 2007

He made the leap!




My 5 year old made the leap into readers! We now have moved from homemade books to published books....this is a HUGE step in his reading progress. With the books we made together, he was able to control them. He controlled the topic. He controlled the illustrations. He controlled the words that were used. Now with these published readers, the control is with the author. (We used the Brand New Readers Red Set) I wanted to see how he would handle a challenge such as this..we started with a book called "The Chase". Before reading the book, I told him what it was about. "It's about a cat named Tabby Cat and he tries to chase things, but they keep getting away." Then we looked at each page as we do, I told him the pattern as he filled in the blank. "Tabby cat chases the ______." He saw a picture of a cat chasing a mouse. He said, "mouse." We looked at each picture and did this until the end of the book. Now why would I tell him what this book is about and give him the pattern of the story? Well, it wouldn't be fair if I didn't. The transition from self-made books to regular published books is very delicate for a child. So even if it's a leap; we still need to keep the safety net there. I need to provide my son enough support for him to feel confident enough to read it. So even if it seems like I'm "telling" him what the book says...he still does the reading work he can control. Like looking at the picture and figure out what's going on, and finding those "anchor" words that he knows so well like "a" and "the". Printed books are very intimidating, and I need to make sure this experience is a good one for him.

No comments: