Google Groups Beta
Subscribe to Raising Readers
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Do you Remember the Memory Game?

My boys and I took a break from all the mini books today and played a memory game. We have the Toy Story version, but any version can be used like The Backyardigans Edition since they are a popular choice. Instead of using all the cards, I took about 10 pairs and mixed them all around. I didn't want to confuse my 3 year-old with so many picture cards that I would just set him up for failure, and he would have a total melt down in the middle of our game. So we played...flipping cards of various pictures. The game has gotten A LOT trickier than when I used to play it as a kid. The pictures were so similiar with only minor details that differ. My boys were pretty good though at noticing the differences. After the game, we counted all the cards we've collected.(My 5 year-old won.) We cleaned up and they were on their way to play with something else.

Practicing prereading skills doesn't have to be painful. It can be as easy as playing a game of Memory. The game helps develop visual discrmination and visual memory skills. What exactly is that? Visual discrimination is noticing differences between objects or what we see. An example, the minute details in pictures,how they are the same and how they are different. Visual memory is remembering what we see with our mind. You might be wondering, how is this important in reading? A big part of learning to read derives from our visual senses. We need to discriminate between pictures and words; and lowercase letters and uppercase letters. We need to learn certain words and keep them in our memory bank for later use. Playing a simple game such as Memory is fun and it gives me an opportunity to bond with my sons, but at the same time they are sharpening their visual skills. (and they don't even know it!)

No comments: