Google Groups Beta
Subscribe to Raising Readers
Email:
Visit this group

Monday, April 16, 2007

Book-a-thon

Have you ever had those times (maybe more often) when your kids just want you to read one book after the other? I had that moment today while I was trying to get some work done. Being a good mommy, I didn't want to blow out the spark my son had for books so I started reading. Then one book came right after the other. I think we read about 10 books in a short time. When he gets into this "book-a-thon" mode, I start to paraphrase or read selected sentences on each page(that makes sense to the story line, of course!) I try to use the same book language so it does not dummy down the integrity of the book. Being a 3 year-old his attention span is very limited so "reading" the book fairly quickly works for him, and that's how we're able to get through so many books. It always him to satisfy his book fix, and I am able to read more books in a short amount of time. At a different time, we can revisit these books again in a more intimate reading session and really sit down and enjoy the book word for word. Try this out sometime when you're short on time...

No comments: